About Calvary United Methodist Church
At Calvary, we care about you and your family, because you matter to God.
Calvary strives to be a Christ-centered, family-oriented, word-sharing, life-changing, need-meeting, world-touching body of believers. In short, we want to KNOW Christ and MAKE HIM KNOWN.
In 1879, Zion Evangelical Church was established. At the dedication of the new structure (October 23, 1881), the following scripture was read: "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ; for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek" (Romans 1:16). This evangelistic spirit has remained with the congregation for over 100 years as we've transitioned from Zion Evangelical Church (on 10th Street and 1st Avenue from 1879-1920), to Calvary Evangelical United Brethren Church (at 10th Street and 3rd Avenue from 1920-1969), to Calvary United Methodist Church (at 2802 12th Street South from 1971-2005).
After much prayer, consistent growth, a gift of land, and three positive congregational votes, Calvary relocated to new facilities on 45th Street and 45th Avenue South, in the rapidly growing Osgood development (southwest Fargo). What a blessing it has been to double our sanctuary capacity, develop a YMCA Christian childcare, and expand our classroom, kitchen, gym, and fellowship spaces for education, children, youth, family, recreational, and outreach ministries!
Calvary's location has changed four times but one thing has not changed; our commitment to the Gospel and to the challenge given at the first dedication in 1881: "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ; for it is the power of God unto salvation of every one that believeth . . ." In short, we still want TO KNOW CHRIST AND MAKE HIM KNOWN.
- We believe the Bible is the Word of God.
- We believe in God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- We believe Jesus Christ is God and proved it through His birth, life, miracles, death, and resurrection.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is coming back just as He said He would.
- We believe that when people put their trust in Jesus Christ (and what He did for them on the cross), they are spiritually reborn through the power of the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit. This includes the conviction of sin, the convincing of truth, and the comfort of His presence in all our troubles.
- We believe the gifts of the Holy Spirit are for today.
- We believe Christians should find true unity with members of all Christian denominations through real faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. This unity is a wonderful witness to those who have yet to believe in Jesus.
- We believe that God loves sinners and calls everyone everywhere to repent and trust in Jesus Christ.
- We believe that those who are spiritually reborn will experience forgiveness, power over sin, intimacy with God, and joy in living. We also receive the promise of a brand new body and everlasting life with God (Heaven) when we die or when Jesus Christ returns . . . whichever comes first!
- We also believe that unbelievers will experience judgment and everlasting punishment (Hell).
To Know Christ and To Make Him Known Through...
EVANGELIZING the Lost of the Community
EXPERIENCING the Lord in Worship
ENCOURAGING the Fellowship of Believers
EDUCATING the Faithful in Christ, and
EQUIPPING our Leaders for Ministry
(Matthew 28:18-20; Matthew 22:37-40)
Calvary’s mission is “to know Christ and make Him known.” Our core values help to shape and form the way this mission is pursued. Here are seven basics that help unify our church body and guide our ministry and missions.
1. Christ-Centered Ministry
(John 17:3; Colossians 1:18)
We want everything we do at Calvary to be a result of our relationship to and love for Jesus Christ. Being Christ-centered is our main target!
2. Authority of Scripture
(2 Timothy 3:16-17; 1 Peter 1:25; Matt. 4:4; Hebrews 4:12; Psalm 119:105)
We believe Scripture is our foundation of truth and our road map for living. The Bible is God's Word to man, not man's word about God. What a measuring stick is to a carpenter, a compass is to a scout, and a plumb-line is to a brick-layer, so the Word of God is to us: our authority. Thank God for revealing Himself to us through His Word!
3. Lost People Matter
(Luke 15:10; Matthew 28:18-20; Revelation 5:9; Matthew 25:31-46; Acts 10:34-43)
We believe everyone we encounter is someone who matters to God, and someone for whom Christ died. It is our privilege and mandate to offer people Christ, through the power of the Holy Spirit, leaving the results to God. We believe everyone needs Jesus.
4. Foundation of Prayer
(Psalm 127:1-2; Philippians 4:4-7; 1 Thessalonians 5:17; James 5:13-16)
The family that prays together stays together. Prayer is communication with God and a dynamic source of power for those who believe! We desperately need to link our lives with the omnipotent God who has commanded us to pray. When we pray and put ourselves in a place of dependence, God promises to show us great and mighty things that we do not know (Jeremiah 33:3).
5. Ministry Team Approach
(Ecclesiastes 4:12; Proverbs 27:17; Romans 12:4-8; 1 Corinthians 12:24-28)
We choose to be a church that is not dependent on superstars, but on TEAMS. The Bible refers to the church as Christ's BODY, where every member is important, and where all teams work together to create health and balance. A healthy church must function in the same way as a TEAM: Together Everyone Achieves More.
6. Leader as a Role Model, Recruiter & Equipper
(Ephesians 4:11-13; Luke 10:1-2)
We believe truth is CAUGHT as well as TAUGHT. Therefore, leaders are encouraged to strive for the character qualities of a Biblical leader (See 1 Timothy 3 & Titus 1), to engage and reach out to others, and to equip disciples of Christ for ministry.
7. Biblical Marriage
(Genesis 2:24; Matthew 18:5-6; Mark 10:7-9; Ephesians 5:31-32)
We believe that only marriage between a man and a woman is recognized by God, and that God's ideal for marriage is one man and one woman for life. We faithfully teach God's design for marriage and purity out of love, because Jesus said by knowing the truth, people will be SET FREE (Romans 8:32).